Instructions after Periodontal Surgery
- A periodontal dressing may have to be placed in your mouth. It is comparable to the surgical dressing used in other types of operations and should not be disturbed.
- The periodontal pack will become semi-rigid within a few hours. It can then withstand some of the forces of chewing without breaking.
- The dressing should be permitted to remain in place until it is removed in the office at your next appointment. If particles of the pack should fall off during the week, do not be concerned as long as you do not have pain. Should a sizable piece fall off or if a rough edge irritates you, please, call our office. The packing can be replaced if necessary.
- Do not brush over the pack. Brush or floss normally the areas of the mouth not covered by the dressing.
- If given a prescription for Chlorhexidine (Peridex), bathe the area of surgery without rinsing for 2 minutes after breakfast and before bedtime using a ½ of a capful of Peridex.