Traditional Metal Braces in Houston, TX
Achieve Your Dream Straight Smile at Antoine Dental Center
If you’re considering getting traditional metal braces but feel nervous or scared, the Antoine Dental Centre team can make the experience as easy as possible. We fully understand how you might feel living with crooked or misaligned teeth. It can be a real blow to your self-esteem. You might be feeling self-conscious that others are making negative judgments.
Luckily, braces are an excellent and time-tested teeth-straightening treatment that can give you the beautiful teeth and charismatic smile you’re looking for.
The Benefits of Traditional Braces
After you finish your braces treatment, you get a range of perks — beyond a more attractive smile and boosted self-confidence.
- Straighter teeth are easier to keep clean, so you’ll be better protected against tooth decay.
- Braces also help give you a more comfortable bite, which allows you to chew more easily and speak more clearly.
Getting braces is something to be excited about, but we recognize that you likely have some questions and concerns. We’d love to meet with you and help you make a choice you feel comfortable with. We invite you to schedule a consultation for traditional metal braces in Houston, TX!
Metal Braces Process
During your initial consultation with one of our Houston orthodontists, they’ll perform an examination, take impressions and X-rays of your mouth, and talk about your smile goals. If we determine metal braces are for you, we’ll craft your personalized treatment plan.
Patients will have metal brackets glued to the enamel of each of their teeth. Next, special metal wires are manipulated between the brackets to encourage your teeth to assume a different position and shape over a longer time.
Metal braces don’t come off during treatment. The average time people need to wear their braces is two years, though it can range from 18 months to 30 months. The length of time you need to wear braces will depend on:
- The severity of the problem
- Your age and current oral health
- How well the treatment plan works for you
- If you abide by the rules and limitations of the plan
Caring for Your Braces
You must take care of your braces properly. Adequate care will help to keep your braces from becoming damaged. It can also ensure that your braces work as effectively as possible.
You will need to:
- Brush, floss, and rinse with an antiseptic rinse after every meal.
- Avoid any foods you shouldn’t eat with braces (aka hard foods, crunchy foods, sticky foods, and foods you have to bite into, such as whole apples).
- Visit your dentist as scheduled by your dentist to see if the treatment is progressing smoothly.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best age for traditional metal braces?
Most dental practices provide orthodontic treatment to patients over seven years old, including adolescents, teens, and adults. The ideal time for braces is between ages seven and 14, while the head and mouth are still growing and teeth can be more easily straightened.
Even if you’re past the ideal age, older teenagers and adults can still get braces to gain straighter teeth. There is no such thing as being too old for braces.
Should I get braces as an adult?
You can receive braces as an adult. Around 20% of patients who receive braces are over the age of 18. Adults love how their braces have finally helped them correct crooked teeth, improve their smile, and treat any serious structural problems in their mouths.
How do I choose between traditional metal braces and Invisalign?
Both metal braces and Invisalign have the same end goal: to straighten and correct your teeth – while giving you a more confident, healthier smile. The way these two devices go about achieving that goal is what makes them different.
Some key differences between traditional metal braces and Invisalign can help you to determine which choice is best for your particular circumstances. You should keep in mind some of these factors:
- How much correction do your teeth need
- If you have the self-discipline to keep the removable Invisalign trays 22-24 hours a day
- If you want corrective braces that are nearly impossible to see (Invisalign) or don’t mind visible braces (metal braces)
- Cost (and whether or not insurance will cover either procedure)
- Comfort (As a general rule, Invisalign is considered more comfortable than metal braces due to the different materials used in each of them. However, modern metal braces are a far cry from the metal braces most people conjure up when they think about “metal braces,” so the discomfort of metal braces is not nearly as significant as many people assume.)
How much are traditional metal braces in Houston?
Prices for orthodontic treatment vary depending on the type of braces you want, the amount of time your treatment will take to be completed, and the condition of your oral health. The best way to find out the price for your orthodontic treatment is to book your consultation with your dentist.
Does my insurance cover braces treatment?
Your insurance may or may not cover some or all of your procedures. You should consult your dental health team and insurance provider to find out more. Ask your dentist if they offer in-house savings plans and financing options.
Straighten Your Smile With Our Houston Orthodontists
It’s time to stop living with misaligned and crooked teeth. We understand you might still have questions about choosing between traditional metal braces or Invisalign. We’ll take time to talk about which option is right based on your personal needs, oral health, and other factors such as comfort and medical insurance.
Contact our Houston dental office at (713) 691-8880 to schedule an appointment for orthodontic treatments. You can also fill out our convenient contact form, and one of our staff members will get back to you. We look forward to helping you to achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of!