Instructions after Implant Surgery
- Do not rinse your mouth vigorously during the first 24 hours after surgery.
- If given a prescription for Chlorhexidine (Peridex), bathe the area of surgery without rinsing for 2 minutes after breakfast and before bedtime with ½ of a capful of Peridex. Continue its use until Dr. Kong tells you to stop.
- If nose bleeding occurs, do not blow your nose vigorously.
- Maintain a soft diet for the first 5 days after the operation and if possible, eat on the side of your mouth that did not have surgery.
- Use an elevated headrest or an extra pillow for the first 2 nights after the operation.
- Do not use your prosthesis until it has been relined.
1- You may experience some discomfort and bleeding the day of the surgery.
2- Take all medication that was prescribed for you according to instructions.
3- Apply an ice bag on your face over the surgical site on the day of surgery for 10 minutes on and 5 minutes off.
4- Keep your next appointment on time for removal of sutures and follow up checks.
5- DO NOT raise your lips with your fingers to inspect the treated area.
6- DO NOT brush teeth near the surgical site. Brush teeth in the rest of your mouth.
7- There is often a temporary loss of feeling in the operated area and the tooth may feel loose.
8- Do not smoke, spit, or use a straw on the day of the surgery (avoid smoking for a few days after the surgery).
9- Should any difficulties occur, do not hesitate to call our office anytime. In case of serious emergencies call 911.